History

St. Cuthbert’s Retirement Living Complexes was established as an adjunct to the Anglican Parish of Tweed Heads to provide “a safe and carefree lifestyle for the active aged” and opened by the Bishop of Grafton Diocese in September 1978.

Elizabeth Morley Court (stage 1) was the first resident funded retirement village in Australia according to information available at that time.

Stage 1 comprised 41 one-bedroom, self-contained units, two of which were endowed by Mrs. Elizabeth Morley for occupancy by people unable to finance “a lease to occupy”, and the rest to be resident funded on a basis of cost to establish the area of the unit concerned and percentage of grounds. That complex is known as Elizabeth Morley Court.

Because of a demand for some two-bedroom units in 1979, it was decided to build stage 2, on an up-market scale, stage 2 having 28 x 2 bedroom and 7 x 1 bedroom units at St. Cuthbert’s Court. These were similarly based for Lease to Occupy on actual cost of land, building (according to size) and surrounds.

St. Cuthbert’s Retirement Living Complexes is now an Incorporated Body of voluntary Board members working under and in accord with the Church of England Act 1928 which allows the Complexes to be included under the Charities Act as a tax-free organisation. Residency is available on a non-political, non-Sectarian and non-racial basis for ‘the active aged” (minimum age 60 years) overseen by a ten member Board of Management approved by the Corporate Trustees of Grafton Diocese because of the ethics and talents they possess to successfully manage the two Complexes, on a non profit basis, that comprise St. Cuthbert’s Retirement Living Complexes Incorporated.  The complexes are managed in accordance with the NSW Retirement Villages Act 1999 & Retirement Villages Regulation 2010.